How to make a complaint

You Deserve Quality Service

The Horizon City Police Department is dedicated to providing the best police service possible to all citizens. Employees are carefully selected and trained to provide service to the community. This section of our website gives an overview of the ways to commend exemplary performance or file a complaint against a Police Department employee.​

All complaints, regardless of nature, can be filed in person, by mail, or by phone at any time. As part of the follow-up investigation, persons making complaints by mail or phone normally shall be interviewed and a written, signed complaint prepared.  A signed letter of complaint will be accepted as a signed complaint without requiring any specific form.  Anonymous complaints shall be followed up to the extent possible. In case of an anonymous complaint, the officer or other person who receives the anonymous complaint shall reduce the complaint to writing in a memorandum with as much information as possible and forward the report to the Chief of Police or his designee.

All investigations will be completed within 45 days to include the taking of disciplinary action when necessary. If additional time is necessary to conclude the investigation, a request for extension will be presented to the Chief in writing providing justification for the extension. If the Chief agrees to an extension a specific number of days will be approved. A copy of the request for extension will be provided to the involved officer and the original placed in the case file. • Upon completion of any investigation, the Chief of Police will notify the complainant in writing of the results of the investigation and any action taken. 

If you don't wish to file a complaint, but want to give feedback, please click here


Filing a false complaint against a police employee is a violation of the Texas Penal Code, Section 37.02. If a person knowingly and intentionally makes a false statement under oath, or swears to the truth of a false statement previously made under oath, a person may be found guilty and punished by a fine up to $4,000, confinement in jail up to one year, or by both fine and imprisonment. ​

Complaint Packet

Please download the complaint packet and return in person to HCPD. 

HCPD Complaint Packet (pdf)